reasons for this word choice here. I thought it was about time I did a check in, to let you know how I've been doing.
Sadly, I didn't manage to read The Purpose Driven Life in forty days as I had 'purposed' to do, but I am still working my way through it and enjoying the slower pace. I've read the book before and I thought I'd do a brief synopsis over the next few weeks since it is divided quite nicely into six sections. It has been helpful in refocusing my attention on what is important, so perhaps you will benefit as well.
Section One is called 'What On Earth Am I Here For?" and outlines the following points:
1. It's not about me. In spite of all the advertising etc. life is really about living for God.
2. I am not an accident. God uniquely created each one of us. We must come to accept our personality, background and physical appearance, because we are made the God wanted us to be.
3. Living on purpose is the path to peace. Think about what drives your life and consider what you wish would drive your life. God gives perfect peace to those who keep their purpose in Him.
4. There is more to life than just the here and now. We were made to last for eternity, so start living with that in mind.
5. Life is a test and life is a trust. Sometimes life's circumstance are a test from God and He has entrusted us with all that we have. I like the verse from this point which says, "Unless you are faithful in small things, you won't be faithful in large ones." Sobering advice.
6. This life is temporary - it's not my home. Keep that in mind as you live from day to day.
7. God is the reason for everything. Glorify Him in everything you do.
I hope you enjoyed this recap from Rick Warren's classic book. Next week I'll talk about Purpose #1: We were planned for God's pleasure.